Wednesday, August 22, 2007

gifted

Thomas Merton, a spiritual writer, monk, and poet, once wrote, “A tree gives glory to God by being a tree.” The author of the letter to the Ephesians puts it this way: "Each of us was given grace according to the measure of Christ’s gift…. Some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ." (Ephesians 4:7, and 11-13).

Certainly I am called to be a pastor and teacher, and in that I do strive to equip the saints for the work of ministry. But beyond my profession, how do I give glory to God? What is my essential Sue-ness? What needs to shine in all its authenticity in order for me to be truly honoring God's creation?

What is it specifically, particularly, uniquely about you that gives glory to God? What gets in the way of it? How can the Church help you embrace that inherent YOU-ness more fully? I appreciate any thoughts you'd like to share....

No comments: